The Minstrel 3 is a ZX81 compatible computer made with modern parts and is able to run ZX81 software, including support for FAST/SLOW modes, built in 32K of RAM and support for many of the high resolution graphics modes. The video output has been updated to work better with modern televisions.
Comes as a self-assembly kit to build a standalone version with its own keyboard and an overlay PCB with BASIC keywords and graphics symbols. All parts are new and in production through hole components. Kit includes turned pin sockets for the Z80 CPU, ROM and RAM.
Optionally add the Minstrel ZXpand, an SD card storage solution that allows you to load and save to SD card, and adds a Kempston compatible joystick port.
This is a single board computer designed for standalone use, it will not fit into a ZX81 or ZX80 case.
Due to the nature of kitted products, we do not guarantee 24/48 shipping. 1-7 working days processing may be required.
Customer Reviews 3 item(s)
- Excellent kit, beautifully designed
- This kit is superbly presented, with all components clearly grouped. The PCB and component layout are Works of ART, absolutely beautiful! Works like a charm and allows enjoying one of the quirkiest, but genius computers of all times -- indeed a revolution for the Home Computer market. Well worth the money!
- A micro worth buying! 100%
Well what can I say about the Minstrel 3! What I can say is that this little micro from start to finish is absolutely fun. These guys have though of everything, from the packaging to the build itself. The kit comes with all the IC's laid out in order, which makes putting all this together a breeze. To be honest, the only time I even looked at the instructions was for the value of the resistors(I probably could have used the multimeter!). From the video output(The clarity is amazing!) to the keyboard(IMHO the keyboard is way better than the ZX81's!) is fantastic. A must have is the ZXpand, it's another
piece of kit that makes the Minstrel 3 even more fun to use. I come with its own bespoke ROM, and the commands to use it don't take long to learn. If I could give this product a million stars I would, because it definetely deserves it! ;)
- A micro worth buying! 100%
- What can I say about the Minstrel 3! Well for starters, it a very well thought out piece of kit. From the packaging all the way up to building this marvellous micro. All the IC's are laid out in order for soldering which makes this kit a breeze. To be absolutely honest I looked at the instructions once, and that was to look at the values for the resistors. Once all this lovely kit has been put together, it work like an absolute dream. From the picture quality to the micro switch keyboard( In my own opinion, works better than a ZX81 keyboard!) is super fantastic! The ZXpand is a must have with this kit also, it comes with its own bespoke ROM and is also easy to put together. The commands for this are simple to remember and overall makes the Minstrel 3 a fun little micro to play about with. If I could give this product a millions stars I would, because it really does deserve it! ;)